Saturday, August 09, 2008

First post from America

Finally I reached US safely. Wednesday, 6th AUG - 2008 is going to be one of the most memorable days in my life. I came before two days in Mumbai and stayed at my uncle's place. Every day in last week I could see mixed emotions on my mother's face, little bit happy but more worried face. Her son is going to study abroad and doesn't know when he will be back. He doesn't have a cell phone to reach and doesn't have much money to spend. His son called her once when he reached airport but couldn't speak for more than a minute in four quarters of a dollar. The Internet is well developed these days but she doesn't know how to contact him through it. With the help of my brother she tried a lot but alas ! the place where I belong has got a load shedding of 9 hours and also the timings does not always match. When I talked to her on gtalk, she could listen to my voice but I did not. So, my brother typed in her words and I replied via my voice chat, so nice way to talk to your dear ones ! I could have bought a calling card or cell phone but looking at its prize I didn't feel doing so. Poor me !

Something about the first air travel -
I did not have a jet lag even though the flight was late by four hours. On the airport my cousin gave me lots of instructions of where things are and where should I start from, what should I do and what I shouldn't at custom checks. I was a bit numb while leaving my family but kept my face smiling ( didn't want to increase the intensity of my absence ). Didn't even cry since when I am here in US. The flight was good ( didn't have any benchmark to compare since this was my first air travel so felt quite okay. ) I did not like the vegetarian food served in flight and the entertainment facilities. Watched Kung Fu Panda for some time but somehow it stopped in between and did not come up again. After trying whatever I could, got fade up and slept for about 8 - 10 hours. I was feeling bit cold so wrapped up the blanket all over and had a nice sleep, in the mean time my friends kept on looking for me all the way but could not see my face :-D. After completion of formalities and custom checks at Newark Airport we stayed for an hour or so and got into the bus which was arranged by our seniors.

About seniors -
Three cheers to you guys ! You are so helpful and understanding that you almost made us feel this country as a home away from home. I really appreciate your help since the first day when we new students contacted you. Thanks for taking your time out of your busy schedules and helping us in every single thing which could have been a disaster without your help. I am looking forward for continuing this tradition ahead when I will be at your position after one year.

Some updates -
I am done with getting my student ID card, which means I could travel all over the city using the buses for free of cost, I could use internet facilities and of course ring up people in America from free phones available in the university. I really like the idea of free phones, I must say ;-) I am quite settled now and got a rented 5 BHK apartment with my room mates, costs 275$ ( including heat, water and electricity) per head, each of us have a separate bedroom and a common hall, kitchen. Two of my room mates are first time away from home and adjusting the turns of five people in one toilet + bathroom + basin room is going to be a real challenge and fun :-D

Looking forward for learning lots of new things which in turn means making lots of mistakes !

2 comments:

Satish said...

Nice to hear that you got settled. Send me your number over mail, I will give you a call.
btw, I am going back on 17th.

Onkar said...

I don't have a contact no. now so can't send you one.