Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Thoughts @ new year eve

This new year has a really dull start. I was alone for last 5 days in my room since my room mates went to visit their relatives / friends. I was not hoping to have such a spoiled start after arriving in US, you know, generally US seems to be a fun place but after coming here, there were very few fun moments. I am not complaining about the life here but honestly, I was hoping to see a lot fun here, but India seems to be far better place. Last year I remember spending 31st with lots of friends in a boisterous way but this time it was dead cold. We used to have so much fun, ate at almost every place on JM road, checked out girls and then had a very long walk on quite roads at night ! I seem to miss everything here. It's freezing cold ( -12 degrees ) and I am enjoying the new year eve with rice and flower chi bhaji ! I could have gone to my friends, but doing that would have ended in the same way, I bet.

To add to this boredom, I was having cough and cold for last 4-5 days and slept for like 18 hours per day ( really wanted to do this after exams but certainly not this way ). Laptop and internet connection is the sole savior here, thanks to those streaming sites without which life could be hell. I am sleeping at about 3-4 AM and waking up at around 3 PM. Funny thing is in around 2 hours the sun starts setting off and it feels like night again. A cold weather, a heated room and a warm bed - it's so tempting to sleep. Some of my friends suggested to go to downtown and have some fun, but the problem is I don't drink or smoke so there is nothing much left for me to do in pubs. Plus, I am so good at dance that people might stop dancing after seeing few of my ganapati dance steps :-D Since I don't want to spoil their holidays, I don't go to pubs ( what a reasoning !). After doing a lot of thinking ( unfortunately, this is THE THING you do when you have nothing else to do ) I came to the conclusion that this is happening because of the place where I am living. Binghamton is really dull, maybe an ideal place for retired people who want to spend their last days in absolute serenity. I am too much used to crowded places and people and this quietness is killing me. If I were in a city like NYC, life could be much better. Sometimes I wonder how could these people celebrate their only festival in such way. There are so few people, maybe families coming and seeing each others once in a year or so. Younger ones go to pubs and discs and oldies go to churches, I believe this is what I've observed.

I am seeing this as part and parcel of my decision - being here in US. Maybe there is something in my plate worth waiting for. When you experience these days, you really know the value of people, relatives, friends. You don't feel their importance when they are with you, but only when you are alone like me. Each new year has taught me lots of things, this year comes with its own teachings and I won't forget it in rest of my life.

Enough of boring stuff , wish you all a rocking new year !!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

k...dear....
when nothing is happening....definitely something good is going to happen....I heard a dialougue from 1 movie...JAB JAB PERSONEL LIFE KI BAND BAJ JAATI HAI TAB JAROOR CARRIER KA TAKE OFF HONE WALA REHTA HAI>>>>
so dont worry....kuch take off hone wala hai.....same boredome is with me....hoping for best....hope for best.....prapare for the take off.....

Ami Apte

Onkar said...

Thanks amya !

Paresh said...

hey dude...u shud've come to nyc...u me n pramod wud've partied into the new yr. US style...bt thike...thr's another new yr. just 349 days away....
n dont worry...once we finish our MS we'll relive the old days...atleast for a while...

Paresh said...

sorry for the math..its 359

sagar said...

good dialog !!
Amya, ;) which movie ?

Onkar said...

@paresh,
u might be right, anyways will come to nyc this summer for sure.

Sooraj Purandare said...

Nice one...
Pan pubbing karayla have hotes
hahahahahah...
gabpati tar ganpati...
style statement jhale aste...