Monday, May 12, 2008

Sherlock Holmes rules !!!


Some legends are unforgettable, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is one of them. These days I am virtually living at 221B, Baker Street, London. In school days, I read a translated Marathi version of Sherlock Holmes and used to tell those stories in class. But being a translation, it did not create an impact as such. After all, it's difficult to keep the same original level in a translation and it makes even more difficult when the original work is of someone like Sir Arthur. One thing is sure, Sherlock Holmes impresses every age group - from a school going kid to a retired old person. There is something in his character that creates such an influence that nobody forgets him. There are his ways of deductions, which seem so simple, yet so uncommon and productive.

I am about to finish the first volume ( Study in Scarlet), probably I am way too late, since some of my friends have already read the complete collection of stories. The language is not easy, certainly not like we normally speak, but it is written is such a way that we don't mind keeping dictionary besides us and understanding every difficult word that comes across. I am getting a severe headache because of my late night readings, and also these days I reach office at around 11, I never had such experience earlier, never ever I was so much into any book. Sherlock Holmes' narration is so perfect that as if we are seeing this great consulting detective working in front of us. I envy Dr. Watson who had a chance to see Holmes so closely and who observed his intellectual prowess . Sherlock Holmes rules the hearts of readers and I bet, world will never produce someone who will surpass the magic ( rather the deductive reasoning ) of Holmes. No wonders, people still write their cases at his address.

O.D. salutes you S.H. and pray, you live long in my heart ...

4 comments:

Swati said...

I have read the complete series in school and early college. I enjoyed reading those books! I don't quite remember all the stories though.

In college I started reading Perry Mason and found it so good. PM is too fast paced and after reading that S Holmes, Agatha Christie started seeming too slow and pale:)

history channel shows SH as tele series. Have you seen that? Watchin SH on TV is a great experience!

Mohsin said...

All that I have to say has already crossed your mind..
and perhaps your answer has crossed mine..

Onkar said...

@swati,
I haven't seen it yet but heard about them, will try and get those episodes from my friend.

@mohsin,
that makes both of us true fans of S.H.

Paresh said...

Dude...Sherlock Holmes is DA MAN... I've read the complete series twice and i wont mind reading it once more...I remember wasting countless engg nights on the book...i just couldn't get enough of him and the antiques of Watson...

@Reaching office at 11: Welcome to the Club [:)]