Friday, May 09, 2008

Time changes and so the interests

After a very long gap today I happened to see my Orkut scraps. There should have been a award called largest turnaround time ever or the laziest Orkut user on Earth, and I would be amongst the highly nominated candidates for it. Some of the scraps were 7-8 months old and still waiting for reply. I hate people who don't reply and that makes me most hated person. I don't remember if I replied to all of them but at least to those which sounded like "How are you?" because others were wishing me "Happy Holi", now God knows in which month Holi comes but I can't now reply them saying "Happy Holi to you too !"(assuming that I don't have a cron job that identifies Holi and keeps scrapping all of my friends each year)

When I was in college, (we are not talking about ancient times here, I am not that old) before around 2 years, Orkut and those social networking sites popped up like anything. There were other similar sites I was knowing but didn't try their taste. So someone from my friends sent me the invitation and it all started. I did not have internet connection at home in those days (neither do I have it today), so I remember sitting in my college's internet lab and scrapping like a crazy person. I had a good reason to tell and that was my BE project which kept me away from the bureaucracy of public internet cafe. Later people started me finding all the time in that cafe and some of my juniors started thinking me as the person who runs the lab. On a positive notes, some of them also started looking at me like a person deeply engrossed in his project work. As they say, overuse kills everything, I gradually lost interest in social networking. Today even FaceBook and their fancy applications doesn't attract my attention. When I joined my company, emails were my prime means of passing time. I used to forward almost all crap that I was receiving until I read about a serious article on network traffic and spams. That backed me off from forwards but I still like to send good emails, although they are rare these days ( or my interests are changing).

I have now found out other ways to use ( waste is the proper word ) my time. It's searching anything on Google, anything here means stuff that adds to your useless knowledge quota. I am glad that it's not that useless as you see on the link. And since the time I came to know about Wikipedia, I am again back in Orkut phase except this time it's Wikipedia. There are two more things I am enjoying after engineering - blogging and reading. I have a habit to read nice post or articles on internet. Today when I was looking through my 450+ Orkut friend's list, I was trying to find a Blogger Friend, someone whose blogs I can read ( with a little but practical hope that he / she keeps the blog updated), but I did not find one. I wish people should start blogging now. All of us have a life which is full of incidents, encounters and emotions. Shouldn't blog be the place to put those reactions or views?

2 comments:

Mohsin said...

yeah interests change but oscillate might be better word here..
like blogging
1. blog like mad
2. Realize nobody reads it
3. don't look at it for weeks
4. Somebody says 'I liked that post' (rare, in fact very rare)
5. blog like mad :-p

Onkar said...

Partially true.I don't care if someone reads my blog or not !